- Hippos are one of the most aggressive animals on the planet and they ‘yawn’ to show their annoyance or aggression towards another animal. Hippos kill an estimated 500 people each year in Africa.
- The ‘red blood’ hippos sweat is actually a natural sunblock and moisturiser which hippos secrete to keep their skin hygienic and healthy.
- Hippos rise every 3-5 minutes from underwater to take a breath of air. They do this even when they are asleep, rising automatically and submerging again despite being semi/unconscious.
- Hippos are extremely fast and can run at speeds as high as 30 kms/hour. This is faster than the average human!
- Hippo calves suckle from their mothers underwater by closing their nostrils and ears.
Hippos are actually related to whales and porpoises and not other land-based organisms!